Thursday, August 21, 2008

Quote of the day

One of my favorite pieces of writing by the incomparable Kahlil Gibran (the text of his book of collected writings, "The Madman", is available through the Gutenberg Project at http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/etext04/thmdm10.htm)
****************************************************
The Astronomer

In the shadow of the temple my friend and I saw a blind man sitting alone. And my friend said, "Behold the wisest man of our land."

Then I left my friend and approached the blind man and greeted him. And we conversed. After a while I said, "Forgive my question; but since when has thou been blind?"
"From my birth," he answered.
Said I, "And what path of wisdom followest thou?"
Said he, "I am an astronomer."

Then he placed his hand upon his breast saying, "I watch all these suns and moons and stars."
*****************************************************

There is a whole universe within. We are all infinite. All we need to do is be still, and look.

No comments: