Sunday, April 27, 2008

We are what we think we are

Because we use this wonderful thing called language, we put labels on everything, ourselves included. We already know from yoga and meditation that we are more than the language-chatter in the mind, and that labels can limit our experience of life. It is very easy to dismiss something after it has been named with a word.

As far as we ourselves are concerned, labels are often self-fulfilling prophecies and are so outdated that they no longer apply, yet we continue to play them out. I'm reminded of the old study in which they took 2 random groups of 5th graders & told one group that they were very talented at math. The other group was told they were average or below average. When the groups were tested, the one that had a better self-image, who though of themselves as talented, tested better. Once again, this demonstrates the power of our thoughts, and this is why we try to harness the thoughts and make THEM work for US, rather than the other way around.

If you think of yourself as someone who is a worrier, messy, lazy, negative, unlucky, etc., then your are keeping these labels adhered to yourself, and they will drain your mental and emotional energy. BUT if you think of yourself as someone who is happy, positive, fortunate, resilient, compassionate, kind, etc... then these labels will begin to stick in your mind, and even if you are not feeling all that positive, starting to view yourself as a positive person can literally transform your self-image from the inside out. The path of tantra involves viewing ourselves as a deity who can act in this world with ultimate clarity & compassion. Even though 99% of us aren't currently able to do that, at least not on a consistent basis, acting as though it is already true moves us continually in that direction. We learn to see ourselves and all others as divine, and our mind is used as a compassionate ally rather than a slave to the hungry ego.

So remember: you are what you think you are. And you are already divine.

1 comment:

yuccygirl said...

Hi Lindey,
Thank you very much for your instruction.
As always, I felt really good after the Monday session. In case you don't recognize me, I'm the girl who asked you for helping headstanding after the class.
I'm wondering maybe you could recomend me some books which makes me belive the great power of Ashtanga yoga and motives me to practice yoga. Since I'm not good at English, it would be nice if the book was easy to read yet very credible. I'm hoping that eventually I could recommend it to my boyfriend too.
I've read some books written by Ken Harakuma who is the first instructor authrized by Gurgi in Japan. They actually impressed me a lot.
I appreciate if you give me some recommendation whenever you come up with.
Thank you very much in advance.
Namaste.